CMS: 13 Best Content Management System for your Website
It is not so easy to make a website by using raw code. It takes too much time and money as well. CMS platforms can solve all of the problems mentioned above. It will save you valuable time and money if you can choose a CMS platform wisely.
Here is the list of best CMSs
What is a CMS?
CMS is the platform that helps you to create a professional website without requiring any programming knowledge. This system allows users to create and manage different types of content. CMS helps to manage both front-end and backend parts of the website.
All top CMS platforms provide their own set of templates, themes, plugins, and extensions to make and manage a professional website. You don’t have to understand everything about a website while you are planning to make your website using CMS.
Most of the top CMS platforms are open sources and free of cost, so it's definitely good news for beginners. Not only beginners but also advanced users also use CMS for their professional websites. If you want to make a much better experience, then you have to upgrade your plugins and themes by paying some money.
Though all the top CMS platforms don’t require any programming knowledge, you can still implement your personal coding knowledge on it. If you understand CSS, HTML, and PHP, you can apply them to add more functionality you need.
What You Can Create Using a CMS Platform
A lot of people think that CMS platforms are just to make blogging websites, and it is true that some of the best CMS platforms were built for blogging. But now most of the CMS is highly customizable, which allows different types of websites.
Though some CMS platforms are built for specific types of websites, it doesn’t mean that only those types of website CMS can be built. For example, some CMS platforms basically designed for eCommerce, and they also can be used for blogging sites.
Nowadays CMSs are so flexible that, so you don’t have to worry about it. That means you can use most CMS platforms to create simple blogs, online stores, tutorial websites, portfolio sites, news sites, educational websites, and so on.
You should only choose functionality and flexibility to use regarding your needs. If you face any problem with functionality, you can choose some advanced plugins and you can also modify or change your templates or themes.
With the right tools, you can even handle more advanced projects using a CMS, such as e-commerce, forums, etc. After all, if I want to say more specifically, CMSs are ideal for websites built for content creation and sharing.
What are the best content management systems (CMS)?
WordPress was launched in 2003 and has become a major contributor to the internet world. Based on PHP and MySQL, it gives you the opportunity to make a website or blog using written content, videos, images, and more with a control panel, templates, and plugins.
You are also able to install a mixture of pre-made and third-party themes to create your own website.
WordPress is the most popular and powerful CMS among all others. It creates a beginner-friendly environment, so its popularity among beginners is strong enough. One another reason for getting such popularity is its pricing policy. As a beginner, you can start your journey with it totally free of cost until you are thinking about any paid plugin.
WordPress has over 50% of the market share online, and no other platform can retain an even closer position. One thing you should keep in mind is that the market share and number of websites using the CMS are different. However, more than 35% of the websites are run on the WordPress CMS platform.
You do not have to become a programmer to maintain WordPress. It doesn’t require any programming knowledge, so beginners always get benefits from it.
It is an open-source system and it is very user-friendly and easy to start for beginners.
There are huge numbers of free themes and plugins available to make a website initially without much effort.
To create a website using WordPress requires WordPress installation, and installing WordPress is very simple as well. Some web hosting providers provide a one-click installation system for WordPress, or you can easily do it manually.
You have to learn a few things before starting a website with WordPress, otherwise, it will be difficult to handle. You also should have bought some plugins to manage properly, but it is good enough to start with a free version.
There are many advantages and disadvantages to maintaining and working with WordPress. Focusing on downsides and upsides can help you to choose a CMS for your business website.
- No programming language knowledge is required.
- Tons of free themes and plugins are available
- Online support, Q&A sessions, and discussion boards.
- Free templates and plugins are awesome.
- Proper navigation system
- User-friendly dashboard
- Advance programming knowledge requires modifying the theme
- Lots of plugins can hamper the website performance
- Everyone knows hidden structure as open-source software.
- Hard to add tables and graphics without a good plugin.
The business plan costs around $25 a month and gives you full access to the theme store, unlimited storage space, a custom domain and so on. It can be a good investment to create a website and maintain it going forward.
- Publish and manage options of content.
- Powerful dashboard to maintain everything.
- The powerful editor enables you to format your content with ease.
- Highly customizable tons of plugins and themes.
- Has a strong and efficient community.
- Easy one-click or manual installation system
- Require no programming knowledge to setup
Drupal has the most dedicated fan base among the top CMS platforms. However, Drupal has 2.9% of the overall CMS market share; it is very strong and very dedicated to the platform.
it is very successful to combine a lot of what WordPress and Joomla offer. It is as popular as some of the other CMS platforms, and it offers some unique features such as flexible custom post types. It also provides tons of modules and themes which makes a great combination.
The easy installation process makes a huge number of website owners rely on it. More than 1 million website owners using Drupal now for their website or blog, and it can be easily determined that Drupal will be sustained its position as the top CMS platform for a long time.
It consists of a higher level of programming and development work, and it is a more complicated CMS. As a more advanced CMS with a rich program, there are more advantages and disadvantages to using it.
- Enough rich with functions
- Tools to modify and manage any kind of content like texts, images, and videos.
- The Control panel is designed for multiple users in case of needs
- An array of pre-made layouts and templates is available
- Easy and proper navigation
- Users are allowed to create custom plugins
- Offers discussion boards, emails, chats, and more to answer your query.
- Some advanced features make this CMS more complicated
- It is not easy to install as a beginner
- Drupal efficiency is below compared to a few other CMSs
- Some function has been changed a lot compare to before, so previous knowledge can be less productive.
- Flexible custom post creation and management system designed.
- Advanced user management and permission settings included.
- Support for multilingual sites out of the box included.
- Includes a detailed taxonomy system.
- Boasts top-notch security for your personal website.
- Advance and complicated installation process.
According to market share, Joomla holds second position and that is about 4.5% of the market share. In current years, Joomla also continues its domination as a top CMS platform available in the market. Joomla runs over 2.5 million sites which also indicates its popularity all over the world.
Joomla uses templates instead of themes, and it actually built with a number of modules and components. Joomla offers an advanced user management system, which allows users to manage and modify content smoothly.
It is a little bit difficult to learn everything about Joomla than some other CMS, but once you learn then it will give you more flexible experience. The more advantage is to use templates rather than themes because it allows you to display content in different ways you like.
Joomla installation process is not so difficult; hosting providers provide one-click-installer in your cPanel, otherwise, you can install it manually.
There are a bunch of advantages and disadvantages to using Joomla, and I’m going to discuss this as you can choose your best-fitted CMS.
- Easy one-click-installation system
- A manual installation system makes a comfort zone for advanced users.
- Tons of free plugins available and you don’t have to download them to use
- Discussion boards, answering questions, and tutorial support are available
- Easy navigation system
- User-friendly dashboard
- It provides templates instead of themes, which is more customizable and easy to display content in a variety of ways.
- Options for updates are very limited.
- Sometimes plugins make some problems and functions don’t work properly
- Regarding your website, it can arise problems with efficiency and resources.
- Some advanced feature is nearly unreachable without proper learning about it.
- Offers different types of supports.
- Provides advanced user management functions.
- Includes multilingual support.
- Supports using unique templates for individual page types.
- Provides some useful free plugins.
- A one-click installation system is available.
Magento is a CMS platform basically uses for making online stores. Magento is a popular eCommerce platform and more than 250000 website owners use this software to grow up their business. It is holding 1.4% of the market share in the field.
As open-source software, it is totally free of cost to build up a website initially. But if you want to upgrade later or add extra features, you have to pay a little amount of money. Magento is written in PHP language and it is much like WooCommerce.
Magento allows you to accept online payments, organize products, and manage customers. As a free eCommerce CMS, it is actually doing great. For these kinds of reasons, the use of the Magento CMS is growing at up very respectable rate.
Magento installation process is simple like some other CMS. You can install it by using the one-click-installation method, or by using a manual process. To make your eCommerce website making experience great, install Magento and feel much freedom to build.
If you want to choose Magento as your eCommerce CMS, you have to know about its advantages and disadvantages. I’m letting you know some advantages and disadvantages of Magento shortly.
- Magento works great with eCommerce websites.
- It has the ability to include lots of products in your online stores
- It can run approximately 80,000 orders an hour
- It provides an array of options to make the user’s shopping experience easy and comfortable
- Order management is so easy with the Magento admin panel
- Magento provides a set of tools to Marketing
- Multiple payment options included PayPal and Google.
- Magento is created based on SEO capabilities
- However, Magento is an open-source free CMS platform, it provides the maximum level of support to users in different ways.
- Many users have found the Magento is too complex to use as a beginner
- To include functions and make modifications is a little bit hard for those who don’t have programming knowledge. It also requires exact parameter and function names which only Magento allows.
- Lacking few eCommerce options to make the fulfillment
Umbraco is an open-source platform and that gives you free access. But if you want to get advanced features, then you need to subscribe for a free plan. You will get 14 days free trial. after that, you will be charged $37/month if you like their product. It's a very popular application among top open-source tools. It is the most extensive CMS on the Microsoft stack.
Active installs: 731,438
Active members: 221,745
Free Umbraco packages: 1,211
Shopify powering millions of websites worldwide to run their business successfully. Not only CMS but also almost everything you will get here to manage an e-commerce platform. It is just a matter of a few minutes to run your e-commerce site with Shopify. A large number of features are available on it. You will get complete control over your website's HTML and CSS, that is how you will be able to customize as your needs. The Drag-and-drop system allows you to order and make posts as you like. You will get 14 days free trial with their plans.
Sitecore was founded in 2001 by five innovative friends. It is one of the leading CMS platforms and ranked as the top CMS provider for consecutive 10 years. So you can guess how powerful it is. The global CMS platform will make complex things easier for you.
Typo3 is free and open-source CMS software. You can use it for your small business as well as it can be a great choice for large-scale business organizations. It is very reliable and well resourced, which will help you to scale up your business.
Alfresco is another leading CMS platform providing its service since 2005. It offers Enterprise Content Management System (ECM) for enterprise-level companies. It provides open, flexible, highly scalable content management capabilities with ensuring services for Document management, Enterprise collaboration, Information governance, Document scanning and Capture, Intelligence and Analytics, etc.
It is another open-source free e-commerce platform founded in 2005. OpenCart Includes almost everything to run an e-commerce site efficiently. Its SEO-friendly environment lets you bring to search engine focus.
Django offers you to make your web apps easily and more quickly by using fewer codes which performs better. It is an open-source Python framework, which allows you to make your better web app. When we going to talk about Django CMS, then it is also one of the top-level platforms for large enterprises written on the Django framework. It is open source and very powerful software.
Wix is a website builder and content management system (CMS). If you want to create a professional and functional website, then it may be the right platform for you. It allows you to create a website or blog where you can promote your business.
What Features the Best CMS Should Include
Now I want to talk about some specific features of CMS might offer, so that you can identify the best CMS for you.
Flexibility: To publish quality content most of the CMS will provide a powerful editor, image compressor, and lots of options that make your content overall professional. To keep your content up to date you will get some options.
Content taxonomy options: Navigation makes your website visitors experience good or bad. To navigate your content properly CMS should enable you to create categories, assign tags and identify similar posts to your articles.
Page editing functionality: Having a great website you need to have various types of pages in it. To enable the creation of new pages and modification options should be included in a better CMS. Pages can vary their content type and uses, so you have to make sure about your required functionality.
Design Flexibility: Don’t choose CMS which hasn’t functionality to edit and customize your website backend. If such a customization system is enabled, you will be able to control as you wish. Just make sure about your content creation, design, and editing systems are accessible and flexible.
Customization: You need to customize your CMS to make your website best fitted with uses. CMS should include a customization system for Font type and size, menu, navigation, header styles, pages, and so on. Options for developers to add and modification should be included at least.
User Management: If you want to run a massive website using CMS, you should have to appoint multiple people to control it. In this case, CMS should include such functionality to permit and manage users according to the user role system. Users will be allowed to manage an assigned portion, but the entire feature should have been permitted for departmental heads or managers only.
Support: Customer support and a wide knowledge base should be included on CMS, which is how someone can be beneficial. Without getting proper support, you can lose your time and effort. CMS providers serve different types of support like phone, email, chat system, token, and discussion board.
Using a CMS is not only a good idea for beginners but also for professionals also. Because it has a lot of good features and functions that can boost any website performance. By implementing a CMS platform you can make your website very professional without knowing any coding and without much hassle. It's just all about managing and updating your content, nothing else. But choosing the wrong CMS can ruin all of your efforts, so be careful to choose one.
Similar posts you may also like:
Best Ecommerce Website Builders for small business